Monday, March 17, 2008

The Contest (book 21)


As I sat among the suitors in the great hall, Penelope joined us, my great bow in hand, quiver on her shoulder. I shuttered at the sight of it and the maids carrying 12 axe heads until I realized that there were none in the hall capable of stringing the bow. Not only could they not string it but they would not be able to shoot the bow through 12 axe heads. As the suitors tried their luck, and continuously failed, the swineherd, cowherd, and myself stepped outside. After swearing their loyalty, I revealed my true identity to them through my scar and we rejoiced together. Afterwards we laid our plans to kill the suitors and we headed back inside. When we rejoined the suitors, none had had luck stringing the bow so Antinoos made an anouncement. The contest would resume tomorrow after significant sacrifice to Apollo, the god of the bow. As they poured more wine out, I inquired whether I could attempt to string the bow. At first the suitors were oppossed, and rightly so, for how embarassing would it be if a beggar could string the bow, but not themselves. After, some significant persuading from Penelope and Telemekus, the suitors agreed that I could attempt, but that I would get new clothing in return for the task, as suppossed to Penelope's hand in marriage. As the bow lay in my hands, I took my time studying it for any marks or scratches that had been left since the master had last held his bow. Loyal men were sent to their places to prepare for battle. Seeing that everything was set, I strung the bow quickly and sent the arrow through the 12 axe heads without a thought. It silenced the hall and Telemekus now drew his sword, ready for battle.

No comments: