Tuesday, March 4, 2008

A secret with Telemekus (book 16)


As Eumaios and I prepared breakfast and the coming day, I heard footsteps outside and yet the dogs made no signs a barking. Then before our eyes, Telemekus, my son, appeared in the doorway and Eumaios jumped to his feet to drown the prince with kisses and love. We talked, the three of us, for quite some time, but Telemekus soon sent Eumaios to town with a request. He was to go to Penelope and tell her of her son's arrival home. He was then to return directly home. The loyal servant did just as he was told and did not hesitate to leave his home. As Telemekus and I sat together in the swineherd's home, Athena came to me and transformed me into my true form. When I returned to the house Telemekus was shocked and took for a god myself. However, I reassured him that there was nothing to fear and that I was not a god, but a man, your father to be specific. We spent the time Eumaios was gone planning and scheming for our next duty was to kill the suitors. He doubted our success, but I reassured him that Athena would be at our backs. Once a plan was in place we spent some time talking, but as Eumaios returned Athena used her magic to once again transform me into the beggar. For if Eumaios knew of my return he would not be able to keep the news from Penelope and it was to be a surprise for all those on the island. Eumaios brought back the news that the suitors ship had returned from its post on the sea, or so he expected. With this news we sat down to dinner in the swineherd's dear home.

No comments: