Sunday, March 2, 2008

Life as a beggar (book 14)


I went, as Athena had made me, to the swineherd, one of my men before I had been sent away to war. It had been long since I had last seen him, but I knew he had always been one of the most loyal of my working men. Before I had left he lived on the estate, but he now had built himself a house in the fields far from my home. As I approached the house the dogs began to snarl and come darting forward to rip me to shreads, but the swineherd stopped them in their tracks and he showed his hospitality. He then began to speak of me and how much better off he was before I left and he also talked of the suitors and how they had taken over the house and were feeding themselves on my food and supplies. I swore to the swineherd that Odysseus would return, but I would take no reward until the swineherd saw Odysseus on his own front step. He then asked for my story and on the spot I made up my history and origin, but a times I incorporated parts of my actual journey. In time, I told him ended up on this island of Ithaka and you received me like a true host. The herdsmen soon returned from the fields and supper time came. They brought in their finest pig and made great sacrifices to the gods before we ate and he gave me the finest cuts of meat. After supper, a bed was prepared and as the young herdsmen fell asleep around me, the swineherd went out the fields to spend the night with his livestock. It was nice to see at least one loyal servant left on the island. 

No comments: