Sunday, March 9, 2008

A visit home (book 17)


As the day began, Telemekus, my dear son, headed home to the manor to see Penelope. He instructed that Eumaios take me to the town to beg, as I had requested. After Telemekus left, Eumaios and I spent much of the day at the house before heading down to town. As we made our way towards Odysseus' palace Melanthios crossed our path, with a string of choice goats for the evening meal. He warned us that if I showed up at Odysseus' home I would get footstools thrown at me by strong men. Although his warning was in the back of my mind, it did not phase me in the least bit for I was determined to return to my old home. As the man departed he kicked me in the hip like a drunken fool though it did not hurt. I contained my anger and kept any thoughts of beating him then and there to myself. We reached the gate much behind the ignorant man and at that point made a plan for entrance. Eumaios was to go in first and I follow shortly afterwards. I did as the plan called for and stepped into the hall shortly following Eumaios' presence. At first, I was shy and kept myself near the door. That is until I received bread and meat from Telemekus along with advice to go among the suitors and beg. Athena then came to me instructing that I go among the suitors to beg and find out which were the decent lads. However, she warned me that none could be spared death. From most I received good crusts and pieces of meat enough to fill my sack, though one was to stubborn to reach out and as his frustration grew in our conversation he hit me on the shoulder with a stool. It left a bruise though I showed no signs of ache. Even other suitors, the more decent of the lot were ashamed by his actions for they feared I was a god inspecting the manors of the island. They're lucky I wasn't for any god would have let them feel their wrath. Eumaios then came to me with news that the queen Penelope wanted to speak to me. Although the offer was great, I feared what the suitors would think if they saw me head towards her chamber so I sent her news that I would come to her after sundown to speak with her.

No comments: