Monday, March 3, 2008

Returning to Ithaka- Telemekus blogs (book 15)


I lay in bed at the home of Menelaos, though not fully asleep. Athena came to me with a new course of action. I woke Peisistratos, but he insisted we wait til dawn to request our sending off and that we did. We spent a day preparing and receiving gifts from the highest lords and ladies. Each one was carefully stored in the cart before we set out. We spent the day on the road and stopped only when the sun had disappeared over the horizon at Pherai. As soon dawn came upon the earth we returned to the cart and made our way back towards Nestor's house. As we approached I asked a favor of Peisistratos. That was to take me directly to the shore and gather my crew so as not to experience another day's delay due to Nestor's true hospitality. When we returned to Ithaka under the shield of the night's darkness we pulled up on shore some ways away from the port so as to avoid the suitors waiting in pursuit. After leaving the crew under the command of one of my most trusted men, Peiraios, we parted ways. I tightened my sandals and grabbed my spear and headed to the house of the swineherd. I found him there awake and ready and willing to serve his master.  

No comments: