Sunday, March 30, 2008

Revealing to Penelope (book 23)


Once all other matters were dealt with, there was one thing remaining on my mind. Telling Penelope of my homecoming. However, when Eurykleia went upstairs to bring my wife the great news, she would not believe it, and even when she convinced Penelope to come downstairs, she would not accept it. She sat across the room, and hardly looked at me. Telemekus tried to convince her to speak to her, but I convinced him to give her, her time. Sure enough she came to her senses, and even in her everyday conversation I could sense the tests that were there to make sure that I really was home. When I asked for a bed, she said that she had moved my bed, but that I could sleep on if I so pleased. I blew up in her face for this. There was no way she or any other man could have moved that bed unless a god had come to their assistance for the bed was anchored to the house. This was the final test, and as I questioned her, she threw her arms around me after she realized that no other man would know about the bed. We then took to that bed to rest for the night and share our stories of the past 20 years, during our separation. As much as I wanted to stay with her the following day, I had to go visit my father before he died of grief that I was gone, as my mother had. Telemekus and I then made our way to my fathers in a shield of darkness from Athena. 

No comments: