Wednesday, February 27, 2008

A foolish crew (book 12)


After our trip to the land of the dead, I returned to the island of Kirke and we did as Elpenor had wished. We took his body, gave him a great ceremony, and buried his body. We then remained to feast for a day in Kirke's house. While I was there, she gave me much valuable advice, some of which was information I had heard from Teiresias. I listened closely to every word and every detail and before my crew and I left, I shared with them all that they would need to know, but not more than they would want to hear. Our first encounter after leaving Kirke's island was the Seirenes just as Kirke had foretold. I plugged my men's ears and they tied me to the mast and didn't untie me as I had wished. It was a greatly beautiful song and I longed greatly to go to the island of the Seirenes. We then neared Skylla and Kharybdis although I did not tell the men what danger we were approaching for fear of scaring them and having them turn against me. While we avoided Kharybdis, she spewed and it mezmerised the men and Skylla stole six men before anyone had a chance to react. My men continued to row and she didn't strike again before we exited the straight. Helios' island soon came into sight and although I informed the men that stopping was not an option, they insisted and I could not turn down the opinion of an entire crew. So we stopped but before doing so, I made them sware an oath, promising not to kill any of the livestock and they were eager to sware by the oath. My men were good and loyal until they we ran out of food and their hungry stomachs got the better of their heads. One day, when I went off to pray to the gods in solitude the men agreed that making a sacrifice to the gods would make up for the killing of the sheep. When I returned, I couldn't find the words to say for I knew there was no undoing what had already been done. The animals could not be brought back to life. As we had long been stranded on the island, a wind soon sent us out to sea and all was going well until the enevitable rath of Zeus was felt by the crew. None survived although I managed to form a small raft and I drifted although I was soon back near the mouth of Kharybdis. I barely managed to dodge being swallowed before sneaking past Skylla with the help of the Father of Gods. Nine days I drifted out at sea, with no raft and no company. I made shore on Kalypso's island and ever since I was stranded by the dangerous nymph. 

No comments: