Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Gardens and Firelight (book 7)


I waited patiently in the grove outside the walls for quite some time. I then rose and made my way into the city. Not far past the walls I came across a young girl who would direct me to the house I was searching for. She skipped ahead as I marveled at the craftmenship of those living on the island. Their work was gorgeous and it was not to be missed. After arriving at the house, or the mansion, the young girl informed me that the mistress and her husband would be seated at supper but not to fret. As I made my way through the many halls and courtyards, I soon found myself standing before a great feast. As I threw myself at the mistress' knees, the entire company hushed and stared. They seemed to accept for they then ordered me to be seated. And we finished the meal together over a nice conversation. Alkinoos then offered his daughter to me in marriage, and as beautiful as she was, I had to politely refuse, as the gods were finally granting passage back to my homeland. I had been forever longing to see my sweet Penelope again. Alkinoos understood my request and instead offered a safe passage home from his men late the following day. It was an offer I could simply not turn down. I soon found myself parting ways as we headed our separate directions to the bedchambers.

No comments: