Wednesday, February 20, 2008

The Songs of the Harper (book 8)


I rose today and found myself heading to the assembly ground of the island with Alkinoos. The men poured into the grounds in great wonder. He began with an introduction, or as best he could manage without knowing a man's name. He then demanded a crew be chosen to assist me on my journey home and led a great procession of princes back to the mansion. After a great deal of food and wine, the Muse blessed the minstrel with a song. As the minstrel sang of the great battle of Achilles and I, I began to weep, though none saw my tears for I hid myself under my cloak. The whole company then headed out for trials in the pentathlon. As I watched on, a great many athletes competed, and it soon came time for me to compete. It was requested of me and I simply could not refuse. Though I won the discus throw, I left myself to that for I knew I could win no others. I then returned to the mansion to prepare for the great voyage and to pack the great many gifts I had received from kind islanders. After joining the company for wine, the minstrel began to sing again, this time of the Trojan horse and how we surprised the Trojans. It was a great song and it brought back many memories of lost friends. This story made me weep, too, although again no one saw. At least, that's what I perceived, but it seems as though Alkinoos had noticed and he soon made it known. At last, he requested a name so not to let the buisness go unfinished. 

No comments: