Sunday, February 24, 2008

A visit to the dead (book 11)


We headed out to sea with a wind that sent us to the land of the dead. By night, we had made it to the ocean's end and the realm of the dead. I followed Kirke's order and made sacrifice of the great animals she had given to us. Once the pit was made, the spirits of the dead came pouring towards me but I fended them off and waited for sight of Teiresias. Now, I learned of my fortune and what was to become of me. I would get home eventually, but not right away. Soon the spirits came to the pit to drink and I saw many that I knew, including my mother. I had many conversations with those I had known in my past. 
My story shocked those in the great hall of Alkinoos, and he soon made it known that i would leave the next day, but not before receiving gifts from the many men inside the great hall. After this news was announced, he urged me to continue on with my story, so I did...
I continued on telling him of many people I had seen. Some of which I had known from war and others who were dear friends. I heard stories of murder and deception. It was good to see my friends but such a place was not the ideal meeting spot.

No comments: